Finding the Right Home Insurance During the Selling Process

Feb 07, 2024

Homeowners Insurance

Choosing home insurance while selling home

Selling your home can be an exciting yet challenging process, filled with numerous decisions and considerations. Among the myriad of tasks on your checklist, understanding the right kind of home insurance is crucial. In this blog, we will understand the specifics of home insurance when you're in the process of selling your house, exploring key aspects and shedding light on what policies might be most suitable for your unique situation.

What Kind of Insurance Do I Need if I'm Selling My House?

As you prepare to sell your home, it's essential to assess your existing homeowners insurance policy. Generally, homeowners insurance covers damages to your property and possessions, as well as liability protection. However, the coverage may vary, and certain scenarios might not be adequately addressed by a standard policy.

What Does My Homeowners Insurance Policy Cover When I'm Selling My House?

While your home is on the market, your standard homeowners insurance policy typically covers the structure, personal belongings, and liability. However, coverage for unoccupied or vacant homes may be limited. It's crucial to discuss your specific situation with your insurance provider to understand the extent of your coverage during the selling process.

When Would I Buy Vacant or Unoccupied Home Insurance?

If your home is vacant or unoccupied while it's on the market, you may need to consider additional insurance. Vacant or unoccupied home insurance provides coverage tailored to the unique risks associated with a property that is temporarily without occupants. This type of insurance can offer protection against vandalism, theft, and other perils that may arise when a property is not regularly occupied.

How Are Vacant or Unoccupied Home Insurance Policies Different from Standard Home Insurance?

Vacant or unoccupied home insurance policies differ from standard homeowners insurance in several critical ways. They address the specific risks associated with an empty property, providing coverage for events that may not be covered by a standard policy. These risks may include damage caused by vandalism, theft, or maintenance issues that arise in the absence of regular inhabitants.

What's the Difference Between Vacant and Unoccupied?

While these terms are often used interchangeably, insurance companies may make a distinction between vacant and unoccupied properties. A vacant home is one without any personal property or furnishings, while an unoccupied home may still have furniture and belongings inside. Understanding these nuances can help you choose the right insurance coverage tailored to the status of your property during the selling process.

Get Effective Selling Home Insurance at Spotlight Insurance Agency

Navigating the intricacies of home insurance while selling your property requires careful consideration. To ensure you have the right coverage for your unique situation, consult our experts at Spotlight Insurance Agency. Our team will guide you through the options and help you secure the protection you need during this transitional period. Contact us today – let us safeguard your home while you focus on making the next move. Call us at 720-923-1500 to get started.

Call Us Contact Us